Friday, November 27, 2009

Gastric bypass vs lap band vs the good old fashioned way?

i am looking into having gastric bypass done, actually i have my surgery scheduled for next week. i am seriously having doubts about having it done bc a coworker of mine who had it is in terrible health conditions. she now has very thin hair with bald patches, looks sick and tired, is always throwing up and passing out. so oftern that the paramedics are in our office what feels like once a week! my coworkers are concerned i will be that sick. i have been considering the lap band now. and i know i dont know if i can do it the old fashioned way. i may opt for that option even if it will take very long to see results. i am very confused. all my friends and family are against it. what should i do, i really need recommendations, good advice, and facts on people who have had it done. please help.



Gastric bypass vs lap band vs the good old fashioned way?

I'll assume that you have been to informational meetings at whatever hospital or clinic that will be performing the surgery. From what I understand, the lap-band is safer, has less complications associated with it, and is adjustable. You are young, which is good, although you should also consider whether you have co-existing health conditions. You should also think about whether you will be able to stick to the lifestyle changes.



I don't know you personally, and this is obviously your decision. However, obesity carries many, many health risks. I would definitely recommend ongoing support, especially with a dietician, psychologist, support group, whatever. Good luck to you.



Gastric bypass vs lap band vs the good old fashioned way?

Honestly, put off the surgery for now. You may elect to do it later but you seem unsure and it's never good to have elective surgery until you are 100% sure you want to.



I suggest having a serious talk with your Md about your concerns. You may benefit from a specialized diet like Jenny Craig. It's always best to give the most non invasive options a chance before major surgery. You can always have surgery later if it doesn't work for you.



Good luck and I wish yo the best.



Gastric bypass vs lap band vs the good old fashioned way?

Listen to your instincts! If you're having doubts, they're there for a reason. Don't get the surgery unless you're 100%. I'm a huge fan of the good old fashioned way, but I've never been obese. I've been overweight and I lost 40 pounds the hard way and have kept it off for 3 years now. But, it's not easy, and it's not a quick fix. It's a lifestyle change. I'm a completely different person now than I was then. Now, exercise is part of my life and it takes priority over most things. That's just something you have to accept when you choose to lose weight. The same goes for eating healthy. you have to do it day in and day out. You can have cheating moments, don't get me wrong. But you can't just lose the weight and go back to eating the way you ate before. That's true of surgeries too though. People gain all their weight back because they weren't properly educated about correct eating habits. Just please please listen to your instincts and only have the surgery if you are absolutely sure.



Gastric bypass vs lap band vs the good old fashioned way?

Watch the show The Biggest Loser, if they can do it so can you. This is the only body you have and you need to treat it better. You deserve it. Doing it the old fashioned way is the only true way to do it and keep it off. I did it and feel great with lots of energy. Good Luck.........



Gastric bypass vs lap band vs the good old fashioned way?

I've never had the procedure done I have a friend that had the lap band surgery.. She's lost about 100 + lbs in about a yr. and a half.. The main thing to realize is that it is surgery and there are risks BEFORE/AFTER the procedure. For example, before you get any surgery lab/bypass the doctors should have you lose anywhere from 50 lbs.-75 lbs the old fashioned way.. Since this surgery is a last resort procedure.. If they haven't I would question it.... Also, there's a recovery period to think about and the kinds of foods you will be eating will be somewhat limited... So, if you really really love certain kinds of food.. Say good bye to them NOW ! My friend cannot eat pizza (too much bread), pasta (too much carbs/gets stuck). She eats mostly soups, yogurt, crunchy things like pretzels, chips... and she can't drink a beverage/eat there's not enough room... She does throw up a lot if she eats too much AND a couple times the doctor's missed the "port" and filled outside the port with saline... Causing a nasty infection that she was hospitalized for a few days.. This type of surgery is NOT a fix all.. .While she is happy she is losing the weight- it does have a depression side because you can't eat many, many things... So, it's best to join a support group and find out from other people what their experiences are..... I also have a aqaintance that weighed 650 lbs. and he's lost over 200 lbs. in about 2 yrs.. just on diet/exercise alone. I would talk to a nutritionist and have them put you on a diet of some sort and start exercising.. Do that for a yr. and if you don't lose the weight and are NOT happy then by all means get the surgery.... Good luck..



Gastric bypass vs lap band vs the good old fashioned way?

ally



just like any other surgery or procedure...each person is different.



I had the Gastric Bypass in june 1996, and have no major problems. Yes, the first year is a bit rough---as your body is getting use to eating very small amount of fluid and foods. I lost over 100 lbs in 9 months!



You will need to take vitamin supplements every day of your life and you need to watch what you eat....some foods will change for you ...and only you can figure that out.



like before the surgery..i loved mayonaise....cant even stand the smell of it now!....use to like milk products...but i am lactose intolerant now...so the most milk i have is in my latte.



yes, there are some bad things that can happen - particularly if you do not follow your diet regime and take your supplements, and walk!...there are also odd things that can happen.....when i had my surgery i also was an employee at the hospital at that time...there was another gal who had it done prior to me and she had "Malabsorbtion"...meaning that no matter what or how much she ate - her system was not retaining nutrients or vitamins and she became extremely ill.



Again...everyone's system is different.



I have had no problems!



The only concern i had was when i had the surgery i was a size 24, and i lost so much weight and inches i went down to a size 2 (and even that was big on me). I called my dr. and he said not to worry the weight would go back up to a 'set point'...sure enough it did...i went back to a size 8 and have stayed there ever since.



I also have not had to have any plastic surgery...i have NO hanging skin...my abdomen is tight, my chin is good, my arms are great....which my dr claims is very unusual....people usually do have hanging skin somewhere.



Again...i had no problems...I would advise you to speak with your doctor or his nurse about any potential side effects...get on the internet and research it, call the hospital and ask for the statistics on how many patients die of this procedure each year....all of this is your right as a patient to know.



I researched my operation for one year before i did it.



My family and friends also opposed it...i waited until the week before the surgery to tell them ...and took them all to dinner to let them know that i wanted their support regardless of their opinion on it...i had all of their support.



good luck...if you would like to email me with any further questions or just need to talk ---please do.



good luck, good bless...and SMILE....your life is going to be beautiful!



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++