Thursday, June 17, 2010

HELP, What do you think this poem means?

My Father's Hats by Mark Irwin



Sunday mornings I would reach



high into his dark closet while standing



on a chair and tiptoeing reach



higher, touching, sometimes fumbling



the soft crowns and imagine



I was in a forest, wind hymning



through pines, where the musky scent



of rain clinging to damp earth was



his scent I loved, lingering on



bands, leather, and on the inner silk



crowns where I would smell his



hair and almost think I was being



held, or climbing a tree, touching



the yellow fruit, leaves whose scent



was that of a clove in the godsome



air, as now, thinking of his fabulous



sleep, I stand on this canyon floor



and watch light slowly close



on water I'm not sure is there.



------------



What kind of literary devices and themes does this poem contain? I know the comparison between the closet and a forest, but it's very vague in my mind. And I have no idea what the last 3 lines mean. I would greatly appreciate any opinions or ideas!



HELP, What do you think this poem means?

This poem is about mourning the death of his father. He misses him and he feels lost, fearful, and uncertain about life as a child. (to make himself feel better--the hat brings back good and safe memories---smells, sights, touch, Love)



The literary devices used are:



Metaphors, similes, and personification.



Very good poem, indeed.



HELP, What do you think this poem means?

hats and fruit comparison

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++